Not sure if this is a well known fact, but thought I'd post about it anyway. When you add a web part for a WSS 3.0 Calendar list onto a web part page, the default view automatically filters items to only show those with an end date great than or equal to today, and a start date that is less than 2 years from the current date. The time value is not used for filtering these items.
This means that all current and future events that start within 2 years will be shown.
Also, the description will be truncated after approximately the first 255 characters. Truncation will happen at the end of a word, not half way through one.
If you don't want to show 2 years worth of future events, you can use the following technique to reduce the time span:
- Add a new calculated column to your calendar list called Start Advertising.
- Set the formula to "=[Start Time] – 60". Change the number of days to whatever you want to use. In this case I'm saying that I want see events that are starting in less than 60 days from now.
- Set the data type for the formula result to Date and Time
- Update the Calendar web part – Edit the current view
- Add a filter for the Start Advertising field "is less than" [today]